Success on the jobs front has delivered a significant payback. Services under acute strain are getting new staff.
- 2,260 extra teachers and 600 Special Needs Assistants to help children, especially those with special needs.
- Almost 2,000 more staff in our hospitals compared to a year ago, as a concerted effort, is underway to deal with A&E and long waits.
- Increases for pensioners and carers and easier access to the Fair Deal to Home care Packages and to GP Care for older people.
- 550 new recruits entering Garda training strengthens the focus on crime and especially the surge in burglaries, where gangs and serial offenders are being targeted.
- A fantastic new 10,000 student campus in Grangegorman will be a great asset for the Northside.
However, it is not just about more spending, it is about working smarter. We have merged or closed over 150 agencies. It is also about learning new ways to solve difficult problems. We need to understand what works and what does not, and to promote creative solutions using technology and different ways of working.